Max Faulkner Challenge 2022
In 1969 Tour Pro Max Faulkner opened Pastures golf course, a nine hole course located in South Derbyshire, little did he know the course would not be beaten in the 50 years following, with no round below par (1 over par on current format).
Despite this, last year England Golf assessed Pastures Golf Club with a WHS slope rating of 114 (+1 shot)!
Can you be the first person in 52 years to beat the course?
Here are a few facts about the course:
- The course was built on old farm land of the late Pastures Psychiatric Hospital.
- Designed by J F Pennink, (Golf course architect) in 1966
- Constructed by the hospital maintenance staff and patients for the use of staff and patients opening in 1969
- Opened by Max Faulkner – professional golfer and open winner
- Along with Max, Horace Lester – club professional Mickleover Golf Club, Clive Ibbotson – Derbyshire County amateur player, Paul Baxter – Derbyshire County amateur player and past president of the EGU opened the course.
- The original course had 1 tee per hole, played twice from the same place with the course measuring 4926 yds for 18 holes.
- Course now in its 3rd incarnation the last change being in 1995 due to hospital site being developed for housing, now measuring 4940 yds with 2 tees per hole.
- Longest par 3 is 229 yds.
- 4000 trees planted circa ’95. (Club told 60% would take; 90% did!)
- We have circa 160 members today with our lowest member handicap at 2.1
- All incarnations of course have been played by both PGA professionals and county players including D J Russell and Paul Wesslingh, par has never been bettered.
- In November 2021, James Robinson with Rick Shiels gave it a good go but the course won!
- Based on our current layout the best score is 65 (1 over par)
The format will be a Medal off scratch, one 9-hole practice round will be included prior to the event off the non-competition tee’s (yellow).
We are currently gathering interest from individuals who would like to claim victory against the course. Our current plans are to hold this event in June 2022 and more details will be shared in January 2022.
Course information can be found here: https://pasturesgolfclub.co.uk/holes-course-flyby
If you are interested, please fill in the form below: